We are leaving out on our epic annual camping trip later this week so I’m currently up to my eyeballs in shopping, packing and prep lists. This is our seventh year in a row spending five days on an island with a huge group of friends, family and our boating family so I’ve got it down to a bit of a science when it comes to packing and prepping. Before we run away and play Gilligan for the week though, I wanted to share one of my favorite camping recipes with you – raspberry Nutella mountain pies!
I first started making mountain pies back when my college crew and I used to go camping every summer. You can use basic white bread (although brioche is particularly delicious) and whatever fillings you want! I love fresh raspberry paired with Nutella, but peanut butter with slices of banana is another favorite in our family!
Other fillings we like are things like shaved coconut, marshmallows, butterscotch chips and M&Ms! Or you can use actual canned pie filling if that’s more your speed. Savory fillings are an option, too! You can make an epic grilled cheese or fill them with scrambled eggs and cheese for breakfast.
To make these you’ll need a camp sandwich cooker, which are really inexpensive if you don’t ever have any in your arsenal. We have two and in addition to bringing them camping each year we also bust them out regularly for backyard campfires. They’ve been used heavily for almost ten years because anything cooked over a campfire tastes amazing! These are far and away one of the best camping recipes to have up your sleeve.
[Art direction + recipe by Cyd Converse | Photos by Alice G. Patterson.]
- Sliced bread
- Butter or margarine
- Cooking spray
- Fresh raspberries
- Begin by buttering two slices of bread
- Spray a camp sandwich cooker lightly with cooking spray
- Place one piece of bread into the cooker, butter side down
- Add Nutella and fresh raspberries
- Top with the second slice of butter bread, with the butter also facing out
- Close the camp cooker and make sure it's secured
- Carefully place the cooker directly on the hot coals of your fire
- Cooking for 3 – 4 minutes while rotating often
- Carefully open the cooker without burning yourself
- Remove the sandwich and slice to serve