This easy caramel apple sangria recipe is a perfect fall cocktail that’s so simple to make and a perennial crowd favorite. It’s one of my most popular recipes to date!
This is a sponsored conversation on behalf of Ristorante by Dr. Oetker
A few years ago I made this caramel apple sangria recipe for the first time to celebrate Halloween and it became an instant favorite. It’s the perfect fall sangria recipe when you’re hosting a crowd or for sipping when you get back from trick or treating.
We live in the best trick or treating neighborhood in the city, so most years I make a pitcher of this easy fall sangria to offer up to friends as they come through with their kiddos. Have no doubt – the adults love a treat, too!
- White wine – I prefer something crisp and not too sweet like a pinot grigio or a sauvingon blanc
- Fresh apple cider – We buy fresh local apple cider, but any apple cider will work
- Vodka – Classic unflavored vodka or try a caramel or vanilla flavored vodka
- Apples – Use your favorite kind of apple, but I generally use honeycrisp or gala
- Caramel syrup – Make sure to have extra for swirling around the glass
I like to serve this sangria in a mason jar or a nice big glass, first swirled with caramel. Serve the sangria chilled, with or without ice to your liking.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of caramel syrup to the bottom of a jar or glass
- Tip the jar at a 45° angle and turn in circles, swirling to coat the sides of the jar
- Once filled with sangria and topped with apples, drizzle with additional caramel syrup
While I originally whipped up this sangria recipe for Halloween, it’s definitely just one of those great fall cocktails in general. We love it all fall long and for Thanksgiving, too!
I prefer a sweet, slightly tart apple with fairly firm flesh in this sangria. Use your favorite kind of apples and experiment making it different ways.
Here are a few apple varieties to try:
- Pink lady
- Red Delicious
How to Make Caramel Apple Sangria
1. Begin by cutting the apples into chunks. I try to keep everything consistent with roughly 1/2″ chunks.
2. Add the apples to the bottom of a large pitcher. Next, drizzle the caramel syrup liberally over top.
3. Add white wine and vodka to the pitcher. I love vanilla or caramel vodka, but unflavored vodka is also great!
4. Top with the apple cider, then stir well to combine. Refrigerate for four hours before serving, or prep it the day before and refrigerate overnight.
5. Serve chilled in a big glass first swirled with caramel, then drizzle extra caramel sauce over top.
What Kind of Wine to Use in Caramel Apple Sangria
Generally speaking, as a good rule of thumb, you don’t need to get carried away with a fancy wine when making sangria. A dry riesling or a crisp pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc is perfect here paired with the apple cider.
Add the sweetness of the caramel and this tastes every bit as delicious as a classic caramel apple only sipped out of a glass. At the same time, it’s still tart enough to be surprisingly more sophisticated than you’d guess.
Um, not that you need to be feeling all sophisticated on my account, trust me.
Can You Make Caramel Apple Sangria In Advance?
This caramel apple sangria recipe is the perfect make ahead cocktail recipe. In fact, it should be refrigerated for at least four hours before serving so the flavors can all meld together.
Want to prep it the night before? Or early in the morning before a party later that day? That’s totally a viable option!
The longer the flavors meld together the yummier this sangria tastes. You can also save the leftovers for up to three days when stored in a sealed jar or pitcher in the refrigerator.
I seriously hope you give this one a try! It’s really really good, which is what has made it a favorite of mine for several years now. It tastes as if you melted down Halloween and poured it into a glass. The best!
Try These Other Yummy Fall Sangria Recipes!
- Sparkling fall apple cider sangria
- Autumn harvest fall sangria
- Hard apple cider punch with kombucha
- Sanderson sister black sangria
- Smoked cinnamon apple sparkling sangria